Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Love in the Second Grade

My son is 8 years old and in “crush”. “Maybe one day, when we’re really older, like 20 or something, we can kiss on the lips and get married,” he tells me. “But right now, what do I do?” He sadly laments the trials and tribulations of a second grader in love. Here I am, giving advise to grown ups all day without hesitation and when I listen to him, I am overcome with emotion and fear that I will not say the right thing.



Believe it or not, I have been practicing for this. I have a plan. Show him how to respect and honor women, teach him to admire the beauty of strength and intelligence, let him express his own feelings…. I’m afraid it doesn’t always go as planned. You see an 8 year old boy is 100% emotional truth. First love is fearless and deep and if she isn’t nice to him, it breaks my heart.


Should he talk to her, when should he talk to her? He knows he can’t touch her but he just wants to pat her on the shoulder and say “good job.” She agreed to play with him at recess, she told him to go away at gym. My heart is traveling with him on this emotional roller coaster.


After a week of advice, I have learned to be quiet and listen. This, I believe, is the best gift I can give my son. I believe it is the best gift you can give to any relationship. When you listen with your whole body, you encourage open, honest communication and growth. Hopefully, if I listen to him, he will find his own answers and follow his own path in life and love.

**What do kids think about love? Check out this article on datingish.com http://www.datingish.com/734404800/what-do-little-kids-think-love-is/


1 comment:

  1. Harry's Tailor
    222/2 Narai Hotel Silom Rd.Bangrak Bangkok 10500 Thailand
    (Tel .)6622370100 Ext 8619
    (Email.)carmelitaksm@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

 
G Boutique Facebook Join us on Facebook Twitter Follow us on Twitter
powered by Modern Retail